R.A.D.A.R. Inc

Riverina and District Animal Rescue Inc. 9890327  ABN 93 048 791 769

Special Stories.....

One of the most rewarding parts of rescue is the follow up stories of our adopted animals... we always love to hear how the animals are going in their furever homes. Some animals come into care having had a very rough start in life or have come into care in very poor health and we have had to put in the extra TLC and veterinary care to ensure their rehabilitation. When these special animals find their forever homes it is a major milestone and highlights the dedication of our foster carers. 

Sammy: Came into care at 5 weeks of age with his brother Scooby, both were covered in fleas and bloated with worms. Their first bath must have felt like heaven, as Sammy looked at me and wagged his little tail to say "THANKYOU!". The pups were extremely sick and dehydrated from the worm burden they were carrying. With lots of TLC, medication and rehydration therapy the pups pulled through and found loving forever homes.

William: Rescued from a puppy farm, Will and his furkid family came to RADAR full of fleas, worms and badly matted fur. After a life penned up the Maltese dogs and pups were quite wary of people and understandably scared. After time in care William became his carers shadow and it was a trusting bond that could not be broken. So Will adopted his foster carer and remains in a life of love! Its taken 18 months to re-build Williams trust in humans to the point now that even visitors and young children can cuddle and pat our gorgeous blue eyed boy (a major achievement for a dog that used to run away at the slightest noise).

*This article contains information that may be distressing to some readers

Narla's Story: By Cheryl McCormick

You would think that working as a Shire Ranger, not much would shock you when it comes to ill treatment of man's best friend... but this is just sad.
I was called to a house that was being cleaned out after the occupants left. Seems their relationship had broken down and they went their separate ways, leaving her family to empty and clean the rented property. The caller said there was a dog and puppies and some dead puppies in the back yard and neither of the previous tennants wanted the dog. When I arrived I found an emaciated mastiff cross girl about 2 years old defending some barely squirming puppies in a makeshift wooden kennel in the backyard. There was evidence that they had tried to feed mumma dog with two minute noodles and uncooked fish fingers - doubtless what was left in the fridge as they cleaned it out. There was probably no dog food in the house. 
The kennel had a mostly dirt floor and two filthy rags for bedding. Using a catch pole I gently coaxed out mum and led her to the vehicle. She walked okay once she got going but she was obviously very distressed. It was only when I returned to the kennel for the puppies that the full extent of the horror came over me. There were 6 squirming pups in the dirt and flies with the smell of rotting flesh very evident all around. The bedding was stained and there were obvious dead pups amongst the debris. I climbed inside and began to pull out the live pups and crate them up for the trip to the pound. They looked to be about 2 days old. Once these were removed I began to remove the smelly rotten bedding and the dead pups were amongst the dirt and rags. I counted 5 more here and there was another dead one some distance from the kennel and the people told me that the other dog had been eating some of the dead ones and that there had been 16 in all!!! Maggots were evident on the bodies of the dead pups and afterbirth and umbilicus clung to the smallest ones - hopefully these had been born dead.
Once they were loaded in the vehicle I called by my house to pick up some clean bedding for the little family and took them to our pound where I knew they would be clean and on a heated floor.

At the pound I made mum, who I now knew to be named "Gnarla" and bubs as comfortable as I could and put out bowls of food and settled her down in a nice warm, clean bed. I know you will groan at my taking her to the pound but I am already caring for other small dogs at home and was not sure how I would accommodate a large - defensive mother dog and her brood. After a couple of hours I returned to check how they were getting on and mum was feeding the puppies and seemed to have plenty of milk but something was wrong. She was very flat and shaking and had not eaten any of the food and I knew she really needed something in her tummy. I called our local vet. The wonderful staff at Mivet Narrandera decided they needed to see her for themselves and actually called out to the pound to check on Gnarla and the pups. Gnarla was obviously ill with a temperature of 40.4 degrees and no body condition and dehydration as well. They treated her with a needle to help her pass any remaining material, a calcium and glucose bolus and an antibiotic injection. Gnarla rallied a little and ate all the wet food in the bowl in the next hour or so. By my next visit Gnarla had passed a lot of really gross material and was still heroically feeding her little pups. She was still very ill and I called the vet once again. We gave her the rest of the fluids subcut and a another dose of AB's and cleaned up the pen and put out more food. I'm no expert but I knew she was still not 100%. I checked in on her many times during the day and just after lunch time I found she had thrown up everything she had eaten and was not feeding the pups. The pups were squirming through the vomit and were spread out over the whole pen at the pound and I was in a state of panic. I called the vet and they said she may need surgery to remove her uterus and whatever was causing the problems. In the meantime I had another urgent call to dogs attacking goats and had to rush away. As soon as I could though I called the vet and asked them if they could still fit her in. They said to bring her down straight away. When I loaded her and the pups I noticed that the smallest pup had not survived, thus leaving only five. While Gnarla was at the vet I took the puppies home and washed them off and offered each one some formula. Most drank well and after toileting them they snuggled up to a warm wheat bag oblivious to the fight for life that their mum was going through at that very moment. Gnarla was in a lot of trouble. By the time I went down to the vet she was still on the table with her enlarged uterus exposed. It was still full of gunk and was starting to infect her system. The only good news was that it hadn't ruptured and there appeared to be no material in her abdomen. The vet finished the surgery and closed the incision, and we waited for Gnarla to come around. She got more AB's and pain relief intravenously but she was very slow waking up. Once she was beginning to come around we carried her out to the car and I brought her home. I just had to fit her in. The pound was no place for this little family. My wonderful hubby made up a pen and bed in the garage and the vet lent me a gel heat pad to help keep her warm. We covered the pen with blankets and blocked off any connection to the other dogs in care in the yard  and made her comfortable for the night. I left a small serve of wet food for her but she was still recovering from the anesthetic so I kept the pups inside for another feed before reuniting them with their mum. She did not react to them but they soon snuggled up to her on the heat pad and we left them to sleep and recover.
**** Finally after many weeks of intensive care for Narla and her pups Ned, Trooper, Brock, Bazza and Koda, all survived and have recovered from their ordeal. Many hours of care from Cheryl and Alex saw the little family thrive and eventually beautiful homes were found for all the pups and sweet Narla. A wonderful outcome....this is what rescue is all about! ****